Wednesday, August 8, 2012

2012 August 1, Sawtelle Peak


After we left Cliff and Wade Lakes, we headed to Sawtelle Point.
The 12-mile Sawtelle Peak Road, of hard packed dirt and gravel, is well-graded and well-maintained.  However, once you begin climbing the mountain, you'll be committed to reaching the top; there are no turnarounds along the way. 

John thought it would be a good idea to drive to the
top of this 10,500 foot peak.  The FAA flight control radar station on Sawtelle's summit can be seen for miles away.  I was not so keen on the idea, for once again we were driving up a narrow, steep road, which twists around hairpin turns and has no guardrails.
They say that an experienced driver paying close attention will have no problem traversing the road.  They also said that the views from the summit were worth the sweaty palms!!!! 

Well.....we almost made it to the top.  We were just about there and my fear of heights got to me and I could not take it any longer... we did find a place to turn around, I think we about 500 feet from the top.  The camera does not do justice to the views from the place we finally stopped.

I was very glad to be at a much lower altitude after the descent!!!!  People wonder how I could be a flight attendant and be so afraid of heights.... well I was never afraid that the plane would fall out of the sky!!!!

That is all for now,

Candy and Johnny
Posted by Picasa